Got tagged for another OC meme!! Buckle up!!
1. Tell us about your favorite writing project/universe that you've worked with and why.
My favorite has gotta be ghost project with August. I just…love it so much?? But also Ambroise, cause it’s a spooky horror story with creepy monsters and dark themes, not to mention lesbians. ANDDD Cherry Bomb, because it’s a magical girl story full of tons of things I love like plenty of lgbtqia+ characters (almost every single one of them), cute fashion styles, cute girls, and of course, magic!
2. How many characters do you have? Do you prefer males or females?
TOO MANY. Hold on. I’m going to count this. 104. That was counting a lot of side characters but not all of them. Basically, a lot. I don't really prefer to make any gender over another, but I think I have more boy favorites than girl favorites?? I also have a few who are nonbinary (Adi, Artemis...I know I'm forgetting one but its 2:30 in the morning...)
3. How do you come up with names, for characters (and for places if you're writing about fictional places)?
Sometimes I spend days searching for names. Sometimes I name them very quickly. Sometimes I have a name prepared before I even know what they look like. I have made a character JUST because I liked a name so much before?? I usually end up making a list of names when I’m looking and I tend to keep them for future reference when making a new character. For example, here’s the list of possible names for August:
I ended up naming his little brother Logan, and have also used the names Theodore, Leo/Leon, and Asher since then…
4. Tell us about one of your first stories/characters!
Story time!! My very first story was called Crystal Soul and it starred very primitive versions of the characters that are now in Cherry Bomb. I was like, 11 when I made this?? It was a magical girl story back then too (for several years it actually stopped being a magical girl story before I changed it back, but that’s besides the point). The main characters were all aliens with humanoid appearances, all appearing female (except for one, appearing male), all named after gemstones and getting their magical power from the gem they were named after, as well as using one singular, signature weapon, and fought their own race whose ultimate goal was the earth.
Sound familiar?? Steven Universe??? One of the reasons I love Steven Universe is it gives me a nostalgic feeling of my very first creation. Of course, Steven Universe is much better than anything my 11 year old mind ever could have dreamt up, but I do find it oh so amusing that they have that similar premise….
5. By age, who is your youngest character? Oldest? How about "youngest"?
Youngest would probably have to be Nylah, who is 5. She is more of a side character though, the youngest main character would probably have to be Blythe, who is 9 or 10, except that is an old project that I don’t know if I’ll ever pick up again. Willow is about 10 or 11. I’m not actually sure who is the oldest?? I suppose it’s gotta be Violet, since she’s been around for a long time, though she hasn’t particularly aged in any way (not even mentally, really) since she died.
6. Where are you most comfortable writing? At what time of day? Computer or good ol' pen and paper?
I actually do like to write, believe it or not….though usually late at night, in the comfort of my own room when nobody is either home or awake….and on the computer, definitely on the computer.
7. Do you listen to music while you write? What kind? Are there any songs you like to relate/apply to your characters?
I like to listen to music without lyrics if I’m gonna write, otherwise I will get distracted. Steven Universe music is pretty great for it (the super extended versions). And I have TONS of songs that I apply to TONS of characters, I have playlists for them on my phone. The biggest is the Ghost playlist with 104 songs. Probably my favorite songs in there are like…Up All Night (Owl City), The Kids Aren’t Alright (FOB), Friendly Ghost (Alive at 27), This is Gospel (Panic at the Disco)…I have Miss Missing You stuck in my head in regards to August and Violet recently…and my friend just sent me Above the Clouds of Pompeii to put in the playlist, which hurts my heart to listen to a bit…I’m getting ahead of myself
8. What's your favourite genre to write? To read?
I love fantasy, supernatural stuff, horror…to read, watch and write. I like romance as well, but usually not something that is purely romance and nothing else?? Horror and dark things are getting increasingly popular between TinySugarPrincess and I. We were thinking recently about revamping an old story, Primrose Path (the one with Odette, Oliver, Emily and Benjamen....remember that??) to be more horror themed....maybe
9. How do you get ideas for your characters? Describe the process of creating them.
It has been a little while since I’ve made a new character. But usually it starts off with an idea of 1 or 2 mains….and others come in as needed?? As far as appearances, lots of times I will see something I like and just be like…I HAVE TO MAKE A CHARACTER WITH THIS TRAIT?? And it is done…whether it is adding to a character who exists already or making a new one…
10. What are some really weird situations your characters have been in? Everything from serious canon scenes to meme questions counts!
Hmm…there is that time where August is possessed and becomes a wandering spirit for a while…but doesn’t actually try to get back to his body? Kimi almost getting in a turf war with an older gang only to find that the leader is really nice and is the real dad of the kid who might as well be her adopted son??
11. Who is your favourite character to write? Least favourite?
None are my least favorite. But…August, Blake and Kimi are probably up there in the favorites…
12. In what story did you feel you did the best job of world building?
Ambroise! But there is almost nothing on it here besides this one picture! Hahahahaha
13. What's your favourite culture to write, fictional or not?
UHhHH?? UHHH??? UHHHHH???? WHAT AKI SAID???
14. How do you map out locations, if needed? Do you have any to show us?
I try to rough sketch them….or at the very least, get a good idea in my head…..
15. Mid way question! Tell us about a writer you admire, whether professional or not!
16. Do you write romantic relationships? How do you do with those, and how "far" are you willing to go in your writing?
I like romantic stuff, though it is usually not the main focus. There are also cases where really, whether the relationship is romantic or not is up to the viewer's interpretation…biggest example of this would be August and Violet?? I don’t really see them as being as romantic as I used to, but I’m still down for other people seeing it that way if they wish. Couples that are a main focus would be like….Kimi and Blake, Boo and Mimi (pretty much the one story that is really romantic and not much else), Felicity and Elise…there are PLENTY of other couples (Kana/Faye, Artemis/Theo, Bambi/Leo, Odette/Oliver….), they are just not really a huge focus on the story. I’m not a very sexual person (ace yo) and as such don’t go very “far”….
17. Favourite protagonist and why!
I love all of them!! I’m stuck between August, Asher and Blake/Kimi (they are both kinda equally the protagonist of Cherry Bomb??) I just already explained recently why I love August, Asher is a shy, wimpy, vegetarian pacifist…Blake is a cute super tall and super sweet baby who takes on a abused little kid as his own and Kimi is just a great cross between “sweet and friendly” and “will step on you with heels on”
18. Favourite antagonist and why!
There really aren’t too many antagonists but the antagonist of Asher’s story is pretty great and also gorgeous…gotta draw her sometime
19. Favourite minor that decided to shove himself into the spotlight and why!
BAMBIIII. Bambi was actually created accidentally, added to the same story as Asher solely to be a participant in a competition sometime in the story. But then I realized I loved her and she is amazing and she just took over my life and now she’s a main character and also my favorite character and I just??? Love her so much???
Also…Julian and Julietta originally did not exist in their story at all, it was just their siblings. Skitty suggested giving them and older sibling, and I said “why not two?” and then they somehow became the main characters. I don’t know
20. What are your favourite character interactions to write?
Usually it ends up being the ones with friends characters, like August and Li. I LOVE coming up with ways for them to just mess with each other, to fight, to make up, everyday conversations, sweet-feely stuff….I just love them. Add Violet and or BLOODYSART’s Franny to the mix and I love them more. Also August and redleaveshavefallen’s August.
21. Do any of your characters have children? How well do you write them?
Kimi and Blake sort of do. He is not their actual child, but rather one that Blake kind of takes on as his own, and Kimi also does soon after?? But then again he (Tony) is kind of like the kid of ALL the girls in Cherry Bomb too. So…he has a lot of moms. The only other kid of a main character is Franny, except she is only in the future and not in the story. I have several kid characters, most of them are very young, pretty much none being older than 9 or 10, more of them being like, 4, 5…..I think I write them okay, because…I live with children?
22. How long does it usually take you to complete an entire story—from planning to writing to posting (if you post your work)?
23. How willing are you to kill your characters if the plot so demands it? What's the most interesting way you've killed someone?
I am very willing to do so if necessary. I am willing to do so when not necessary, really, but I don’t actually want to kill anyone just “because”, since...it's a bit pointless. The most interesting way?? Mmm…probably being gutted…
24. Do any of your characters have pets? Tell us about them.
Kimi has a fat fluffy cat. He is white and blind. Julian also has a cat…and Mimi might have a dog. Unsure what kind, but…a big dog…
25. Let's talk art! Do you draw your characters? Do others draw them? Pick one of your OCs and post your favourite picture of him!
26. Along similar lines, do appearances play a big role in your stories? Tell us about them, or if not, how you go about designing your characters.
Well, considering that they come in the form of comics…yes?? Half the time I will see something I like and think….I need that physical trait on a character?
27. Have you ever written a character with physical or mental disabilities? Describe them, and if there's nothing major to speak of, tell us a few smaller ones.
Hmm, several characters with amputated limbs, some of which with prosthetics (Blake, Asher, Felicity, Blythe…), blind characters, one paralyzed in a wheelchair, Cory (one of Julian and Julietta’s siblings) is deaf…August has a metal knee…(does that…count?? I don’t know…). There is depression, anxiety/social anxiety, ptsd, schizophrenia emotional instability and others among multiple characters, including main ones like August, Ida, Asher, Amelia, Kana, Julian (and some of his siblings)…(hopefully I answered that question decently...)
28. Final question! Tag someone! And tell us what you like about that person as a writer and/or about one of his/her characters!
UHH I just tagged people for the last oc meme so I don’t really know who to tag?? Do it if you want to?? I WILL tag BLOODYSART however since she tagged me for the last oc meme.